[thelist] Recommend a Server Side Language?

deke web at master.gen.in.us
Tue Apr 10 10:20:01 CDT 2001

On 10 Apr 2001, at 8:53, MILLER David R. posted a message which said:

> My goodness, isn't anyone going to mention Perl? Free, open-source,
> cross-platform, with a vibrant and intelligent user community. Perl can do
> web work, data-base stuff, system administration, XML, virtually anything.
> Learning Perl was one of the smartest things I've ever done.

> OK, "simple" maybe it ain't. But worth it.

And there is c, too. Gcc is free, open-source, cross-platform, with a
vibrant and intelligent user community. C can do web work, database
stuff, system administration, XML, virtually anything. You can even
write a PERL interpreter in it, which is something PERL isn't good for.

OK, "simple" isn't going to be a good description for any true programming
language. But C is a small language that you can learn all of. With "there's
more than one way to do it", there's a great tendency to become jack of
all trades. If you've done something 500 times the same way, you are less
likely to generate bugs than if you're doing something a different way every
time. And programmers spend 75% of their time on debugging and
maintenance, only 25% of their time on "bebugging".

deke