[thelist] Re: [site rippers? - conclusion]

nate nate at vicksburgcollective.com
Tue Apr 10 19:37:37 CDT 2001

well, it's not downloading anything that's not publically available with a
browser; it just saves the step of downloading it piece by piece.

as far as reusing in portfolios and stuff, all my personal contracts have a
clause that allows good-faith and non-commercial use for this type of thing.
(plus, usually a portfolio is a thumbnail, or otherwise incomplete look at
the site.) unless you're selling their product, or broadcasting their custom
engines or codes, i definitly wouldn't say it's /massive/, if it's improper
at all...

as far as i know, the web is public domain. if their site is on the www,
it's fair game. what's the difference in downloading it, or linking to it?
when you dl it, you're downloading their copyright/footer too, so...?

as for other uses of spiders and rippers: it's nice to see how a client, or
a potential client fits into their landscape. most of the rippers give you a
url list of all the links on the site. with this, you can tell -- at a
glance -- who their affiliates are, who their partners are, who else is in
the space, who's serving their ads. all good, responsible research and biz
dev info.

do i have this all wrong?

best,
nate