[thelist] Need suggestions on site redirection.

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Thu Apr 12 18:51:50 CDT 2001

Joe Crawford responds to Jonathon Isaac Swiderski's question
re' .htaccess files:
> > Does this work on non-Apache servers?  The machine in question is a
> > 'Netscape-Enterprise/3.6 SP3'

> I believe the syntax is Apache specific.

Netscape/iPlanet Enterprise servers can be configured to use
.htaccess files for access control (bypassing the normal LDAP
authentication), though I've never tried a redirect from one.

> Tells me there's something called obj.conf where you would put it ...
> maybe?

Yes, obj.conf is a configuration file; it can be hand-edited, or
all changes can be done through the administrator console (using
a browser to access a high port# determined at install time).

> But I really have no experience with that server. No idea whether adding
> it requires a bounce, or whatever.

As I recall, most changes require a restart so the server will
re-read its configuration files.

If you don't have administrative access to the system/server, you
probably can't do much.

FWIW!
--
H*
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com
Webtuitive Design ---(+1) 408-938-0567 --- http://www.webtuitive.com

    -- creating dynamic Web sites and applications since 1994 --