[thelist] email address harvesters

Chris Evans chris at fuseware.com
Sat Apr 14 21:26:25 CDT 2001

I was working and needed a break, so I whipped this code up. It takes a
string and converts it to the escaped HTML version ( or whatever you call
them).  For example, it converts "chris at fuseware.com" to
"chris@fusewar
e.com".

I tested it on IE 5, NS 4, NS 6, and NS3, all on Win2k, and it seemed to
work for all of them.

I'll throw it in a tip so it gets harvested.

<tip type="masking email address in CF" author="Chris Evans">
Here's some code to convert your email address to HTML extended chars to
mask it from email harvesters:

<CFSET ASCIIString="">
<CFSET EMail = "chris at fuseware.com">
<CFLOOP From="1" To="#Len(EMail)#" Index="i">
	<CFSET ASCIIString=ASciiString & "&###Asc(Mid(EMail,i,1))#;">
</CFLOOP>
<CFOUTPUT><a href="mailto:#ASCIIString#">#ASciiString#</a></CFOUTPUT>

</tip>

Chris Evans
chris at fuseware.com
http://www.fuseware.com