[thelist] RSS or Scriptingnews feed

zac zac at pixelgeek.com
Sun Apr 15 14:55:06 CDT 2001

aardvark wrote:

> ok, i have to defer to the guy who put it together, and he's not
> around for me to pester... again, should be around tomorrow...

If I might make a suggestion. The current structure doesn't really make much
sense from a semantic POV. The tags don't really say anything about the
content in them.

BODY is probably not as good a tag name as, say, ARTICLE

Maybe a format like

<evolt>
<article time="27-MAR-01" author="gainef" id="9278">\
    <title>Why 'Bobby Approved' is not Enough</title>
    <link>http://www.evolt.org/article/headline/4090/9278/index.html</link>
</article >
<article time="20-MAR-01" author="mantruc" id="9179">
    <title>Page Title Labeling</title>
    <link>http://www.evolt.org/article/headline/4090/9179/index.html</link>
</article >
</evolt>

This makes it a bit easier to read the node structure in your code, adds
some more flexibility (since link and title are now separated) and makes it
easier to access the individual in an XSL file (I think, I've never had to
access char data in an XSL file so it might actually be simpler than I think
in which case forget I said anything) or DOM object.

--

The word good has many meanings. For example, if a man were to shoot his
grandmother at a range of five hundred yards, I should call him a good shot,

J.G. Chesterton

email: zac at pixelgeek.com
web: http://www.pixelgeek.com/