[thelist] iframe in netscape 6/mozilla

Alan Storm gliff at rochester.rr.com
Mon Apr 16 20:45:51 CDT 2001

I'm running into a problem with iframes in Netscape 6/Mozilla.

Whenever I place an iframe with a percentage height&width inside a <div>,
it breaks.  More specifically, I see what appears to be an iframe of the
proper width, but only a few pixels high.

Examples. http://www.gliff.org/test/iframe.html

Doing a bit more testing, the same thing happens if I place the iframe
inside a table, or even something like a center tag.

http://www.gliff.org/test/tables.html

This doesn't happen in either Opera or IE 5, so my initial reaction is to
blame Netscape.  But that's just the training kicking in.

Am I breaking some obscure, yet significant, standards rule?  Are iframes
not 'supposed' to support percentage heights and widths?  Is there some
doctype sorcery that will clear this up? Or am I SOL?

Here's a gif of the problem,

http://www.gliff.org/test/iframe.gif

Any and all help is appreciated, even if it's of the "Wow, that sure looks
broken" variety.

--
Alan Storm