[thelist] inaddr arpa, AOL, SSL

Aaron Johnson ajohnson at mindseye.com
Tue Apr 17 16:33:22 CDT 2001

Hi friends,

I got tasked with a fun one today... a client site has 2 certs, www & www2.
When using any browsers NOT AOL dialup, a user can access SSL on either of
those two hosts.  When on AOL dialup, www2 SSL fails.  (this is all on PC)
So, the only difference I could see was AOL dialup, which really means a)
there could be a problem with AOL's proxy servers or b) a problem with AOL
DNS and the www2 service.  So where does the reverse lookup come into play?
I did an nslookup on the ip for www2.  Nothing was found.  SO!  I'm not an
expert at DNS *but* could there be an issue with AOL trying to do a reverse
lookup on a host for an SSL connection and then failing?

Thanks!

Aaron Johnson, MCSE, MCP+I
Allaire Certified ColdFusion Developer
MINDSEYE, Inc.