[thelist] What's the max size of a table that browsers can handle?

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 18 10:55:17 CDT 2001

>I have a researcher that wants to put a list of genes on our intranet as a
>single page. The problem is that the list is ~10,000 lines, each 4 cells
>wide. The file is text only and weighs in at a whopping 4.5 MB. Netscape
>just sits there thinking but IE seems to work after a little wait.

The problem with Netscape 4 is not that it can't handle the 4.5 Mb (well,
there surely will be some problems), but that it *has* to wait for the
/TABLE before showing anything at all.

So if you're patient enough you get to see the table, but it'll take a
godawful time.

Breaking the table up seems like an excellent idea, 4.5 Mb will surely cause
trouble somewhere.

ppk