[thelist] Another what would you do???

Sean Preston razorwise at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 18 11:30:38 CDT 2001

Just a suggestion.  Put it in writing and clearly go over all the details of the agreement with
him.  Don't make any assumptions as to what non-techies know.  It's always better to over explain
in such circumstances (i.e.  if your server isn't configured such a such a way, this won't work,
etc.).

Regards,

Sean
--- Siim Einfeldt aka Itpunk <siim_e at itpunk.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   You should definately tell him up-front what you have to say to avoid
> possible future problems. And you should definately ask some feedback from
> him about what you had to say. Maybe when you told him that you needed
> php/mysql...maybe he didn't understand a thing. I told one of my clients
> the same thing and he didn't pay much attention...this topic came out
> again the day before I got the site ready.
>
>   So my suggestion, make all the things as clear as possible right now.
>
> Cheers
> Siim Einfeldt
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I have a new customer that contacted me for use of one of my games for his
> > site.  This person seems to be a really nice guy but I think he is  kinda
> > new to the net.  They are having an online lotto site created for them by
> > another company (http://games.email-lotto.com/).  This company is
> > recommending that he use http://www.spiritusa.net/ for his web hosting.
> >
> > Normally, I wouldn't care since the game he is getting from me will stay on
> > my server.  However, he has told me that he has interest in several other
> > games from me in the future.  My games are written in php/mysql and
> > spiritusa doesn't seem to offer either of these.   Not to mention that I
> > know there are much better sites for hosting out there.  I have already
> > told my customer that my games won't work on this ISP if they don't have
> > PHP/mysql installed.
> >
> > What would you do?  Would you recommend the customer to find a better
> > ISP?  Would you voice your concerns?  Or just let it go?
> >
> > Any advice is appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Chris
> >
> > <tip php/mysql backup script>
> > <?
> > # Variables
> > # User ID
> > $userid = "root";
> > # Password - If you need to use a password add -p${password} to
> > # $password="passwd";
> >
> > # Connect to the database
> > $dblink = mysql_connect("localhost", "$userid");
> > $db_list = mysql_list_dbs($dblink);
> >
> > # Location of Mysqldump
> > $mysqlbindump="/usr/bin/mysqldump -u" . $userid;
> >
> > # Location of Mysql Database backup directory
> > $dbbackupdir="/home/httpd/html/mysql_backups";
> >
> > # Location of tar
> > $tar="/bin/tar";
> >
> > # Location of gzip
> > $gzip="/usr/bin/gzip";
> >
> > $curr_time = date("mdY");
> >
> > # Let the fun begin
> > while ($row = mysql_fetch_object($db_list)) {
> >     $dbList = $row->Database;
> >     exec("$mysqlbindump --opt $dbList >
> > $dbbackupdir/$curr_time.$dbList.backup");
> >     exec("$tar -cf $dbbackupdir/$curr_time.$dbList.tar
> > $dbbackupdir/$curr_time.$dbList.backup");
> >     exec("$gzip $dbbackupdir/$curr_time.$dbList.tar");
> >     exec("rm $dbbackupdir/$curr_time.$dbList.backup");
> > }
> > ?>
> [...]

=====
"He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates 2 dimensional thinking."