[thelist] Another what would you do???

John Corry webshot at neoncowboy.com
Wed Apr 18 12:24:47 CDT 2001

> > What would you do?  Would you recommend the customer to find a better
> > ISP?  Would you voice your concerns?  Or just let it go?
> >

> I do it all the time.  I prefer to work with the sites I develop on the
> server that I know the capabilities of.  (Not my own, but awesome
> company.)
>
> I run into a lot of people who are also paying for an ISP,
> usually DSL, and
> the companies give them *FREE* space for a web site.  Half the
> time there's
> not even a CGI bin, much less anything else!

I run into this all the time too...I have one client in particular who has
LOTS of domain names to host, and gradually he is bringing them to me to
host (as a reseller for Web2010, http://www.web2010.com). Since I charge
more for MySQL/PHP hosting, I try to make it lucrative for him in little
ways. For instance, on the site that I just built for him,
http://www.sugarbeachresort.net (only 85% complete...no critique please) I
offered him a script that lets him or his manager update rates information
via a form on the site. I did that for free, because it is WAY in my
interests to get this client happy with the kinds of services available
through my hosting option. Depending on your market...you may not have to be
this aggressive. I figure its worth an hour of my time to secure another
domain at an extra $10/month. Plus, if I re-use the code on his other
sites...I get even more mileage.

His present lame-ass web host's functionality is limited to CGIEmail...

I empathize...its very hard to try to explain the value of real, quality web
hosting. Clients typically can see that their site is online...and that's
abotu it. DB driven content goes over their heads in my neghborhood. One
advantage I have is that the local ISP sucks so hard that the people I
usually work for are sick of lost email, downtime, missing logs, barely
present tech support and being billed for every little thing. At the end of
the day, my option (while a little more expensive) is a WAY better deal even
for small businesses.

hth,
jpc