[fwd] RE: [thelist] Cropping/Editing a Wav file...

Adrian Thompson adeythom at well.com
Wed Apr 18 18:22:41 CDT 2001

This message was held by thelist software and
is being manually forwarded by a list admin.
Please remember to send emails in plain-text
format only, or they will not reach thelist
until it is later forwarded by a list admin.

I think (ready to be proved wrong, though!) that Windows Sound Recorder
can
do what you want. You can load a WAV file, move to the start of the
snippet
and use Edit>Delete before current position, then move to the end of the
snippet, and use Edit>Delete after current position. Save it back out
(with
a different name, of course!), then convert to RealMedia/MP3/whatever.
It's
messy, but it might just work!

I'm using the Win2K version, BTW - I'm not sure if those settings are
available on the Win9x version - and, of course, if you're using a Mac,
it's no use at all!

If you're planning to do this a lot, CoolEdit 2000, and its bigger brother
CoolEdit Pro (64 track recording - probably more than you need for this
job!) - http://www.syntrillium.com/ can do everything you need for this
job
, and more - with a pretty friendly interface. Cooledit 2000 can also read
MP3s directly, edit them, them output them back in a variety of formats,
including RealMedia G2 (check out the specs at
http://www.syntrillium.com/cooledit/index.html). there are probably other
programs which can do the job, but I've used this one, and it's pretty
reliable - especially for $69!

HTH!

Adrian Thompson