[thelist] Table Update Schedule Answer

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at COMPAQ.com
Thu Apr 19 13:01:27 CDT 2001

Aaaarrrrggghh!

Thanks again Rudy!

Sorry ... it took me another hour of thinking about it to "see" your
solution.

For the rest of us who might be with me in the "slow class" ... here's (I
think) the methodology for keeping 100% uptime on reports referencing BIG
data tables that need regular updating:

* Suppose we had three files; DataFileA, DataFileB, and Trigger.

* Let's say that at this moment in time, the report is running off
DataFileA.

* A datafeed containing new information arrives.  We load that new data into
DataFileB.  At the completion of the data load, we add a new record to the
Trigger table that says "#Timestamp# DataFileB Complete".

* Every time a user runs the report, the report will look at the Trigger
table to determine which datafile to use (most recent update).  A user
running the report now, (after the update of DataFileB), will retrieve data
from DataFileB.

* The next datafeed that arrives will be loaded into DataFileA.  At the
completion of the data load, we add a new record to the Trigger table that
says "#Timestamp# DataFileA Complete".

I believe that kind of mechanism should meet both of my requirements: to
have 100% report uptime and yet only provide users with "completely" updated
information.

Whew!

[A more relieved] RonL.