[thelist] .ART and AOL (ooops they did it again)

Green, Janet JGreen at DesMoinesMetro.com
Thu Apr 19 13:22:37 CDT 2001

>>>Is there any way to force AOL to leave the images the h**l alone or
convert
> them back to something I can use once I get the images?<<<

I'm very interested in the answer to this question. I have AOL installed on
an iMac, and the ONLY reason I ever launch it is to view these files. To
view an .art file, first save the file somewhere convenient (I put them on
my desktop, cuz they're easily accessible to the trash that way - LOL).
Then, launch AOL up to the point where it comes up with the login screen
(where you type in your username/password). From there, choose File/Open,
and open the picture file. You can view it thru AOL without logging on. I've
never found a way to convert them. Perhaps we need to beg Fireworks, et al
to support .art as a file extension - ha!!  It's a HUGE pain the butt. I'll
be interested in whether using a ZIP file works. All the .art files I've
ever received have come to me as attachments on AOL (not embedded in the
email), so I know they allow attachments, but they muck with just about
everything else so this is really no surprise.

Janet