[thelist] Floating DIV issues.

Jacob Stetser lists at icongarden.com
Thu Apr 19 19:26:01 CDT 2001

http://lazydeveloper.com/tests/floatdiv.html

So, on the above page, I display my problem (this page won't look
right in anything but 5+ browsers and up. The actual page uses
@import to deal with that, but this is just thrown together for
testing.

Anyway, I have a floating div (FLOAT) contained within another div
(MAIN). Unfortunately, MAIN doesn't expand to the full height of
FLOAT, and so the background I set in MAIN only shows up part of the
way.

Turns out this is correct behavior. I thought I'd fixed it by
sticking a THIRD div (STUPID) with clear:both and width:100%, also
inside MAIN. This moves to the bottom of FLOAT, thus forcing MAIN to
expand to that height.

Except in Netscape 6. At least on Windows. Any ideas? Or should I
resign myself to living with the different look in NS6?

Jake