[thelist] Bandwidth "control" utility?

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Thu Apr 19 19:32:56 CDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Guy Babbitt" <Guy_Babbitt at FSAFOOD.COM>
To: <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Friday, April 20, 2001 12:34 AM
Subject: [thelist] Bandwidth "control" utility?

> Is anyone aware of a utility that will allow me to emulate modem speed
> connectivity across high speed lines?  I have a problem (most people
> might not think this is a problem) of having nothing less than T3
> connectivity

man, I wish I had that problem :)

> in the office and need to watch pages load at modem speed.  I know
> there are packages that will give me estimates of how long a page
> will take to load, but I need to actually be able to show others
> the process.  Dial-up is a last resort, as I would prefer to avoid
> running extra analog lines.

IME, the best way to simulate dialup speed is just to dialup.  Nothing can
anticipate the slight variances in speeds you'll get on a dialup link like
the real thing ... probably not what you wanted to hear, and I think there
are solutions out there, I just don't know of them.

Another solution could be simply to throttle your connection between the
browser and the web server to around 45 Kbit/sec, but w/out more info on
your OS or network, it's hard to say any more than that.

--
  ___  ___ __ _________ @well.com  William Anderson - www.well.com/~neuro
 / _ \/ -_) // / __/ _ \|     "All your base are belong to us. You are on