[thelist] CGI Perl Mailform

deke web at master.gen.in.us
Thu Apr 19 21:05:22 CDT 2001

On 19 Apr 2001, at 14:07, aphelan (Andrea Phelan) posted a message which said:

> Please, anything but that. I've been to scads of freebie sites like that,
> and the scripts are rediculously complex, formating everything to death.
> It's dreadful to try and dig thru when you're a novice. I'm looking for a
> skeleton script, something very simple. I'm not looking for mega security,
> complex email formating or anything like that, i just want it to grab my
> form field contents and mail em to me, without having to buy a book i'll
> never use again.

MIT says that people install CGIEMAIL in an average of 12 minutes
- and that's if you recompile it. If you simply install a precompiled
binary, it's just a matter of uploading the file and doing a chmod on
file permissions.

It's going to be safe (even though you don't insist on that) and it is
easy to generate exactly what you want (even though you don't
insist on that, either).  But next month, you might decide you want
something more or something different, and with cgiemail, you're
already going to have it. And being compiled, it's small and fast.

And the docs are highly readable, too!

http://web.mit.edu/wwwdev/cgiemail/

deke