[thelist] .ART and AOL (ooops they did it again)

deke web at master.gen.in.us
Thu Apr 19 21:09:56 CDT 2001

On 19 Apr 2001, at 11:07, Joshua Olson posted a message which said:

> Recently, I got a .ART image attached to an email.  The sender insists that
> the file was originally a .jpg.  I did some looking and it seems like AOL
> converts images as it sends them.  As clients often send me images to use as
> design elements on a page, this automatic conversion is problematic.  Is
> there any way to force AOL to leave the images the h**l alone or convert
> them back to something I can use once I get the images?

I don't believe you can get AOL to leave the images alone.

And since Johnson-Grace compression is AOL-proprietary, there is
no conversion software available. Best way to convert them seems
to be doing a screen capture.

Why don't you set up a file upload script on a website?  Users seem
to have a *terrible* time when it comes to emailing photos, and FTP
really confuses them, but if you have them do a browser upload, it
works 95% of the time. (Once in a while, people try to upload shortcut
(.lnk) files.... - but then, they try to *mail* those, too! <grin>)

deke