[thelist] [fwd] request for proposal deliverables for media design companies

Frank framar at interlog.com
Fri Apr 20 03:58:36 CDT 2001

>  We want to choose a media design company to design and
>  implement the design into an e-commerce site. I would
>  like to know from you guys with what they should come up
>  after 2 weeks to pitch for the contract. What should be
>  in their presentation? Like usability challenges for
>  example, or layouts or whatever.

Just a note first: This is relative to not only 'graphic design' but
the whole package (Design, copy, programming, etc...), since that's
all I know. But I think there should be things you'll find useful
despite it's generality.

Unless you are paying for the proposal, expect a brief catalogue of
their products, and how they could be of benefit to you in a very
general way. Most dev companies are familiar with the game of "Give
me the proposal so I can get your ideas for free, then quoted cheaper
elsewhere."

A good proposal should look at your business, your goals, and how the
company can help you in meeting them. A good proposal is always based
on the company interviewing you first.

The proposal should utterly cut your site up. In this context, the
more brutal they are, the better it is for you. They should then
present the solutions available per price range.

They should look at things like visual aesthetics,  usability,
quality of HTML, javascript, quality of the copy, all of these in
relation to achieving your goal. If they don't rip you apart, you
know that a) They haven't really looked closely at your site, or that
b) they aren't good enough to make those distinctions.

[Tangent:] You can often qualify people, companies by the clarity of
the distinctions that they make.  Is the proposal airy-faery, full of
buzzowords, exclamation marks and colours and images that have little
to do with the topic? Or is it clear, concise, organized, carefully
worded, visually appealing? Did you LEARN form this proposal or not?

You should also receive a fairly (not overly) polished, fairly
comprehensive analysis of your situation in regards to how the
product will assist you. This would be the less-well-defined version
of the contract you will be signing. It will include costs (plus or
minus), general but still fairly tight functionality descriptions,
and up to three possible directions you could take in terms of
graphic looks, as well as time lines with a specificity of app 30
days. (That's plus or minus 30 days until we write up a contract.)

Remember that a fairly busy shop will prioritze you according to the
size of your budget and status. (Some people are moved by prestige).

Remember that a proposal is an example of the work the company does.
Think twice about working with a company you've paid to write a
proposal and you get a word doc in the mail with no follow up
interview. Also realize that the quality of the proposal, like the
rest of the company's products are based on budget and time frame.

Also, remember that another reason you pay for a proposal, is because
it's a lot of work! <g>

--

Frank Marion                      Loofah Communications
frank at loofahcom.com               http://www.loofahcom.com