[thelist] Memory leaks & tools

Ashish G india_design at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 20 07:44:31 CDT 2001

Hi people,
   We had a small internal application that has been
dusted out and made into a saleable application. This
has ASP as the display layer, VB components as middle
business logic layer and SQL server as database.
   Subjecting it to some performance testing brought
out server memory problems (specifically in
Inetinfo.exe) after every few hours; obvious culprit,
one or more of the DLL's have momeory leaks (there are
around 15 DLL's). Going through the entire code of all
the DLL's to identify unclosed database connections is
a serious and very unappetising prospect. Point is, is
anyone aware of any tool that can let me know which is
the exact DLL that is causing the memory leak - this
will save a lot of time in hunting down the culprit.
There is no MTS involved.
   For testing, we were using Microsoft's stress
testing tool as well as a lot of human effort.
   The server - running NT4 with sp6a, along with SQL
7, so the feeling is that the problem is not in the OS
/IIS / Database.
   Any help in this will be invaluable.
TIA,
Ashish