[thelist] Please tell me why I hate Flash - longish

Kristina Floyd kristina at kfx-design.co.uk
Fri Apr 20 11:48:58 CDT 2001

Firstly I'd just like to say - how I wish I'd found this list 2 years
ago (at least!!)  I've learned so much from it already.

Thank you

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

too Fortunes email 'Hear hear' -

;o)

I've been reading this flash thread with great interest, and after
reading Fortune's post (& wishing I'd been able to write something
like that) I decided to share my tuppence worth

site url: www.exmoor.tv

i'm a little shy to do this, as I know there are several things
wrong with this site, ie; the flash part 'does' take a long time to
load.  But when you consider the amount of data that is downloaded and
the fair manner in which its displayed, the download seems to be a
small sacrifice.  The users feedback would agree with that also, they
seem to love having something to play with.

In creating this site we were trying to get away from the usual
alphabeticising of the hotels.  As the client had decided a hotel's location should be more important than its name.  So we
decided on a map.  This is my first 'real' effort with flash, and
I have learnt heaps more since, and yes theres a mountain of things
I'd do differently if there was the budget to do it again.  (Which
hopefully won't be too far away in the future).

I'm the first one to be annoyed and put off by sites that are
obviously about showing the rest of the world how talented the designer is.

But in the right place, flash can do what standard HTML hasn't a hope
of acheiving.  eg; the map on www.exmoor.tv - (the site is getting a
little old and is in need of a revamp) to get to the flash bit, click
on the 'Exmoor Accommodation' or 'Exmoor Things To Do' drop down list and
choose an option.

I'd like to think that this was an appropriate use of flash.  All
critisim gratefully received.  (please excuse my poor spelling)

 bfn
 Kristina