[thelist] Apache burns memory up !

Daniel J. Cody djc at starkmedia.com
Fri Apr 20 14:40:14 CDT 2001

Eric Cestari wrote:

> but usually we get 200 visits a day.
> The install is the standard 1.3.9  RH rpm for Apache, I think it's DSO all

ok.. If you have the means, I'd *totally* recommend compiling apache on
your own.. this way you'll be able to compile the modules into apache.
it will result in a slightly 'fatter' httpd binary, but you'll see
improved performance. mod_perl for example is known to have memory leak
issues when its used as a DSO.

also, are you using all the mod's you have compiled into PHP? If not,
dump some of them and recompile.. if you have questions about
recompiling apache or PHP, just shout :)

> excerpt from httpd.conf :
> MinSpareServers 20

drop this to 10

> MaxSpareServers 30

drop this to 20

> StartServers 25

drop this to 10

> MaxClients 60

you sure about that line? This means only 60 clients at once will every
be able to access your machine.. Thats a lot, but if your server ever
gets bitchslapped traffic-wise, its going to lock 61 and up out..
Setting this to 125 is usually a safe bet.

> Those figures are  not adequate for 20Mb processes on a 256 Mb RAM server, I
> guess :)

*way* more than adequate :)

.djc.