[thelist] [the list] Newbie question

Ron Thigpen rthigpen at nc.rr.com
Fri Apr 20 16:32:56 CDT 2001

You could:

1-Use OCR software on the scans, proof and correct the result.  At this point
you'll have a text file.  Follow with layout (HTML, PDF, etc.?).

2-Place the scans into Adobe Acrobat and use it's internal OCR-like feature

OCR is far from perfect and the proofing/correction phase can be somewhat
painful.

If such exists, every effort should be made to find an original electronic copy
of the text.  Was it produced on a word processor?  Does the publisher maintain
electronic copies for reprints?  If you can get your hands on this, you will
save a lot of eyestrain.

There are some folks that do a lot of this < Project Gutenberg:
http://www.promo.net/pg/ >

--Ron Thigpen