[thelist] Script Compatability

Daniel S. O'Shea doshea at surfree.com
Mon Apr 23 08:28:08 CDT 2001

Question on using certain Script Languages- I had used quite a bit of
JavaScript in the past but have learned that the new 'user' computers such
as i-opener and web tv (Microsoft and a few others put there small units out
but I don't know much about them.) do not support the language.
So I've resorted to keeping my site within the ASP environment.

The units appear to support VBScript as they recognize ASP pages. I had a
menu that was entirely JS but would not appear in both the i-opener and Web
TV.

Does anyone know of a list that not only MS Explorer and Netscape, but AOL
(True that AOL is very similar to Netscape?) Web TV, i-opener and a few of
the other popular 'user' computer systems out there?

For those who aren't sure of what those 'user' systems are: For instance,
i-opener is a keyboard and small flat monitor that is purchased for $200. It
can only work with the ISP i-opener has contracted with. There is no control
over pop or smtp. It does not support JScript. No word processing programs
or other programs for that matter can be loaded or used. Bascially it is to
check email and surf the web. Orders however, can be made over the web.

My concern is that to use JScript or other languages that are incompatable,
one is cutting off a decent number of possible customers who will not have
access to the site as others do.

This is not, in an way shape or form, slamming certain programming
languages. As a matter of fact, I'd love to use JScript as I've used it
numerous times in the past, but when I see a certain portion of the industry
unable to read it, I am hesitant to use that language.

Why am I wary? My wife loves i-opener as all she wants to do is email, and
surf the web for her fitness-travel-shopping needs. I believe there is a
growing number out there using these units as I've read the stores couldn't
keep the supply on the shelves over the holidays. It also appears the ISP
companies have settled down and kept up with the demand brought by these
units.

Sorry for the long winded email, but this may be an important subject many
in the group most likely should begin to consider. (I recently joined the
list so I may have missed a discussion on this earlier, which I sincerely
apologize if I have.)