[thelist] Script Compatability

viveka me at karmanaut.com
Mon Apr 23 08:48:31 CDT 2001

At 9:28 AM -0400 23/4/01, Daniel S. O'Shea wrote:
>Question on using certain Script Languages- I had used quite a bit of
>JavaScript in the past but have learned that the new 'user' computers such
>as i-opener and web tv (Microsoft and a few others put there small units out
>but I don't know much about them.) do not support the language.
>So I've resorted to keeping my site within the ASP environment.

Sun's HotJava browser, used in some consumer
devices such as the Alcatel WebTouch (it's a phone
with a 640x480 touchscreen LCD and a pop-out
keyboard) don't do JavaScript either - at least,
it didn't last time I developed for it, which was
over a year ago. I think we'll get more and more
of this as smaller devices grow HTML/XHTML
renderers, but don't have room for the bells and
whistles. 640x480 resolution will come back the
same way; tiny 640x480s will work in a palmtop
form factor/mobile handset...

I use JavaScript, but make sure that there's
a fallback behaviour for non-javascript browsers.
There's nothing wrong with using JavaScript for
a purely cosmetic rollover - non-javascript browsers
just won't display the rollover; the link will still
work if you code it right.

Use Javascript for a popup menu on rollover -
but make the popup trigger also be a standard
linked image; if you click it, it takes you to a
page with the same function as the popup menu.
Then everybody wins.

Other examples of non-destructive JavaScript
abound, I'm sure. Anyone? Bueller?

Regards,

V.