Florida [thelist] members

rudy r937 at interlog.com
Mon Apr 23 14:10:47 CDT 2001

> I'm a web developer in south Florida (Boca Raton area)...

ron, you don't know what you are getting yourself into

if i bring a tent, can i camp out in your backyard?   do you drink?  can i
bring you some maple syrup?

> When doing a SQL query (ODBC, for example) to bring
> data out of a backend database, do not put calculations
> into the code that grabs the data.  Just grab the data.
> Do whatever needs to be done to represent the data at
> the time of presentation.

that is stated perhaps a bit arbitrarily

it might be interpreted as a prohibition against *any* expressions in the
select statement, and that would be just plain wrong, because expressions
in your select statement are always better than doing the same calculation
(to say nothing of development time) in a web server script

your example "Dollar amounts hard-coded in that multiplied times another
value (data)" suggests that it's not a good idea to hardcode any amounts
that may vary with time, and with this sentiment i heartily agree, being a
longtime data modeller (yes, that's spelled with two els, i'm canadian)

the dollar amount should have been a database field in the first place

and don't get me started on database views, i'll go on all afternoon...

rudy