[thelist] using SSI within a .cgi page

Marty Landman marty at face2interface.com
Tue Apr 24 17:34:30 CDT 2001

At Tuesday 4/24/01 05:17 PM, David Prowak wrote:

>I'm trying to allow my users to update a portion of
>a CGI created page.  (They need to add some text to
>the heading of the page.)

David, I'm in agreement with Hassan and Joe on this. Although you will need
to likely do some design work to figure out how to separate your data from
the HTML from the program. Thankfully, servers perform millions of
instructions per second; my advice is not to worry much about I/O's unless
you're being needlessly wasteful, as in searching sequentially through >
hundreds of records per page view. Welcome to web programming, dude!

>I could get the CGI script to write the actual SSI
>statement, but still the page would not have a .shtml
>extension.

Which really isn't that bad a thing, after all. Search engines don't
discriminate against .shtml pages but often /do/ penalize .cgi pages.

SIMPL, the content mgt system I'm developing creates dynamic content on the
fly for customer websites and implements this by writing stub .shtml files
which then call a program to create the page's contents at the visitor's
request. Taking this approach may be more work than is called for in your
case, but it's certainly an available way to accomplish what you're after.

>Back to the drawing board I guess....

Really man. I'm generally either drawing on the board, or banging my head
against it. :)

Take care,

Marty

Face 2 Interface Web Solutions