[thelist] Access, Jet, ODBC and DSNLess connections

Nicole Parrot nicole at parrot.ca
Tue Apr 24 20:03:10 CDT 2001

I'm tearing my hair... and what's left is turning to gr[e,a]y really
quickly...

I'm working on a project that is Access/ASP based. The whole thing worked ok
for 3 years, but my clients have started experiencing problems since last
November. The site is very very low traffic, but has started to be more
visited around that time, so we cannot come to the conclusion that the 3
year up time actually means something.
At the same time, they have moved the Access database from Access 97 to
Access 2000.

Problems they are experiencing:
1. the server (which they are managing themselves) becomes so slow as to be
unusable, and have plenty of script timeouts all the time
2. the database will open on the first page, but will not on the subsequent
pages.
or
3. the database will simply not open at all.

So far, here are my conclusions:
1. they need a better sysadmin ;-)
2. the ODBC connection is the cause of the server becoming a sloth
3. switching to a FileDSN is helping with the slow server, but the site can
no longer be browsed by two persons. Could it be that the FileDSN cannot be
shared ? How do I fix that?
4. I am now trying to go with a DSNLess connection, but it seems the keyword
"AS" is not recognised by the JET engine as a valid SQL word, and that kills
90% of my already existing pages.

Anyone with words of advice?
Thank you

Nicole