[thelist] OT: Possible to merge Win98 registry entries on a Win2000 machine

Bob Haroche bharoche at usa.net
Wed Apr 25 14:30:16 CDT 2001

Sorry for the fairly OT post, but I couldn't get an answer on the Microsoft
forums.  I'm hoping somewhere here knows the answer:

I've been doing web design on a Win98 machine for years and have saved to
.reg files a bunch of my different programs' preferences and UI settings.
When I've had to re-format my HD and reinstall Win98, I've been able to
merge those registry settings to restore all my settings.

Now I'm getting a new computer with Win2k.  After installing my Win2K
compatible
software -- and assuming I install to the same installation directory -- can
I simply merge these same registry settings on the new machine and avoid
having to
set all my preferences again?

Thanks in advance.

--