[thelist] sorting html tables in IE and NN

Fortune Elkins fortune_elkins at summithq.com
Wed Apr 25 15:07:21 CDT 2001

hiya!

strange problem: so that he could implement an alphabetical sort
functionality for linked text in a table, one of my colleagues has placed
all the links and text in to a javascript array. this all get written out
onload, and then users can click the sort button to sort, etc. no database
is used.

the problem with this technique is that the page is not being indexed by
search engines. because there's no "Text" per se, just script! <Sigh>

short of a database, is there a better way to implement this kind of sorting
without using arrays? we could do it with data binding and dhtml, but alas
we must support NN 4.76.

i've been to javascripts, webmonkey, et al. and really couldn't find
anything, so i thought i would ask you!

tia,

fortune

Systems Inc.