[thelist] OT: Job Market

A. Erickson amanda at gawow.com
Wed Apr 25 19:51:43 CDT 2001

> Actually, I should know better, but the media seems to be saying "things
> look bad, but they're really not".

Well, things really aren't that bad. I mean, the cost of bread is still the
same and you still have a computer and an internet connection, right? The
economy is not that bad for the rest of the world.

The internet economy and the web market is bad. If you worked for a company
that worked to provide services for dot.coms (a company who only works in
webspace) as well as those brick-and-mortars that were playing with online
retail and/or services then, yes, it's bad.

It's bad for web design agencies. It's bad for web backend people. What does
this mean? In the grand scheme of things, not a whole lot. Programmers can
still find work but you're going to have to get out there and network and
really polish your skills. HTML Coders and Designers (front end) can still
find work but it's getting a bit sparse. Companies still need a web presence
but what they are going to *do* on the web is a whole 'nother matter.

- amanda

--
http://gawow.com
-- I'll just slip my resume into my sig here all casual --