[thelist] CSS, DIV and filter : alpha

Tony Crockford tonyc at boldfish.co.uk
Thu Apr 26 07:29:55 CDT 2001

Hi

working on an intranet, total control over browser (IE5.5)

Have read about filter alpha, which can control the opacity of a div.

I'm trying to have a semi transparent div, over a graphic background,
with non-transparent text over the semi transparent div.

(My attempt to make the text more legible, by having a semi transparent
coloured background behind it.)

I've got the transparent div working: (in a linked style sheet)

.trail {
	border : none;
	background-color : #71380D;
	width : 180px;
	position : absolute;
	height : 200px;
	left : 20px;
	top : 175px;
	visibility : visible;
	z-index : 8;
	filter : alpha (opacity=50%);
}
(not sure I've got the right syntax for filter?)

But can't get the text (in a table in the div, class trailtext) to not
take on the transparency.

I get transparent text, thus defeating the object.

Anyone got any bright ideas?

I'm thinking I need to have two divs, postioned one above the other, one
50% opaque, one fully transparent (where the text is 100% opaque).

Any help or pointers to useful resources would be appreciated.

(MSDN just makes me more confused!)

TIA

Tony