[thelist] Leave my Code Alone! was: Design Mode in Homesite

Johannah Hubal johannah at hubal.com
Fri Apr 27 11:13:06 CDT 2001

Well in Dreamweaver UltraDev 4:

Edit > Preferences > Code Rewriting > uncheck all that you want to, and
include any extensions you feel are applicable in the "never rewrite code in
files with extension:___" section.

You can also format in which DW writes code by going to Edit > Preferences >
Code Format.
You can specify indenting table rows and columns, frames and framesets, the
indent size (in tabs or spaces), wrapping text length, the case for tags,
the case for attributes, whether you want cases overridden, how you want to
handle centering, etc.

You can also specify whether you want DW to use shorthand for CSS, etc. It's
a very customizable program. There are also tons of things you can download
from the MM site. I love dreamweaver. =)

I'm using HomeSite 4.5 (though I haven't used it in 5 months since getting
DW UltraDev). The settings for "leave my freaking code alone" are:

Options > Design > CHECK the "Disable (hide) design tab" box. Don't ever use
Design view. It's awful. Like old FrontPage awful. I haven't used FrontPage
in three years, so I can't comment on the newer versions.

You can specify with both DW and HS which browsers and HTML standards you
want to validate for. This seems useful, and both programs will warn you
when you manually create bad code.

You can also open a HS file in DW with one click of the little DW icon. Both
programs are very cool - not a substitute for learning to code by hand, but
they speed up the process of churning out wireframes and mockups for me. I
always have to start over with a clean page when I'm building "final" pages,
but the process is still WAY faster. I like updating pages "live" in
meetings while projecting on the wall. Speeds up the process to show people
why I decided not to do it that way in the first place. =)

--Johannah.