[thelist] Breadcrumb Trails

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 28 00:52:24 CDT 2001

> From: "Aaron Clark" <aaron at veryfinedesign.com>
>
> What kinds of technologies/tips/shortcuts do you all use for creating
> breadcrumb trails? I would prefer a client-side solution rather than
> doing server-side processing, but I'm open to suggestions.

client-side?  you mean, rely on the history object through
JavaScript?  how do you handly non-JS browsers?  or write code to
handle all of 'em?  ultimately, if it can be done on the server, do it
on the server... that being said:

Breadcrumbs for the sake of Users
http://evolt.org/article/bread/4090/4483/index.html

Breadcrumbs for PHP Lovers
http://evolt.org/article/bread/17/4455/index.html

Breadcrumbs for All (perl)
http://evolt.org/article/bread/17/4428/index.html

Breadcrumbs for Those Using ASP
http://evolt.org/article/bread/17/4438/index.html

> On another topic: I'm doing a re-design for the e-business technology
> department at the local community college. We were thinking of going
> to a CSS-2 layout (no tables, total separation of content and
> presentation) similar to what Jeffrey Zeldman and the gang at
> www.alistapart.com did. What are your thoughts on that?

well, given the amount of time zeldman's had to dedicate to it, and
all the browser issues, is it worth the time investment for you?  do
you have a reason beyond just to play with it?

that being said, you can see some of my commentary on the
CSS2 approach by my arguments for using tables still to handle
much of the layout on generic sites:

To Hell With Bad Editors
http://evolt.org/article/ed/25/6096/index.html

Inside the evolt.org Rebuild: The HTML and CSS
http://evolt.org/article/css/20/5816/index.html