[thelist] flash popups: are they processor dependent?

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Sun Apr 29 21:28:07 CDT 2001

I was going to post a link to a site that requires a computer powered
by a reindeer on a treadmill, but decided to instead suggest we make
a rotating schedule of death duty so we can rid ourselves of the
scourges of our industry who dare use a non-web safe palette and
design for window sizes greater than 640x480 or write HTML that does
not read perfectly in Lynx.

Come on! It's crystal clear to me that the site is intended as
"research" and "expriment" ation ... apparently it's not clear enough
to meet the sel- proclaimed usability gestapo's stringent standards.

That said, the < 500 MHz version consistently crashes my dual 450 MHz G4.

Anyway, the only technique I know of to open a new window with
JavaScript from Flash that will work everywhere that supports
window.open() is to have Flash change the location of a frame so it
loads a html page which in turn opens the new window. Just saying
getURL("JavaScript:window_opening_function();") will work in every NS
and IE browser that supports the Flash player except a few - listed
at http://www.FlashBible.com/Members/FSCommand/Table.htm (second
column).

The reason for the "No-multi-tasking" message is most likely because
(if you haven't noticed), Flash is fastest (particularly on a Mac) if
you've got one window open with one Flash movie in it ... what causes
it to slow other than other Flash movies playing, I don't know ...
I've anecdotally seen things speed up after quitting Quicktime or
PictureViewer.

WARNING! WARNING! Do not go to this link
<http://www.throbbing.com/tron/> unless you have the Director 8.5
player or do not want to see a completely mind blowing 3-D scene that
doesn't completely work for me but made me swear out loud in delight
the first time I saw it anyway: <http://www.throbbing.com/tron/>

>  > From: Joe Crawford <jcrawford at avencom.com>
>[...]
>  > > Remedi Project's latest incarnation http://www.theremediproject.com/
>>  > and noticed they have a separate setting for over 500mhz cpu's and
>>  > sub 500 CPUs.  Is this a common occurrence with intensive Flash
>[...]
>>  Interesting - I see this more and more on sites - sites with processor
>>  requirements. And frankly, I find it hard to imagine what sites could
>>  tolerate this kind of requirement. Gamers of course adopt
>>  machines/video cards rapidly, but for businesses and even developers,
>>  speed based upgrades seem to be happening slower for people.
>>  </digression>
>
>it also says, "No multi-tasking please."
>
>that's just messed up...

[etc bitch, moan, bitch]
--
- Erik Mattheis