[thelist] Windows '98 Instability

Sean Preston razorwise at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 30 17:55:10 CDT 2001

Hey Guys,

I imagine that you do some image manipulation in whatever programs.  You should clear out your
cache, but a number of programs won't free up sys resources upon closing, so every time you reopen
a new instance of a program (i.e. PSP, PhotoShop, DW, HS, whatever) that they take another chunk
of memory and eventually you're sys will get unstable and crash.

I've used MemTurbo in the past with some success, but CacheMan (as suggested) isn't bad either).

I'd also suggest checking your sys settings---i.e. virtual memory settings, accelerator settings,
etc.  In all likelihood, though, it's probably a combination of less free disk space (which your
comp uses as virtual mem), coupled with the accumulated garbage on your sys.  Just shut your sys
down for about 5 minutes once a day...a hard boot 'cause just a reboot won't necessary flush out
the box...and see if that resolves your issue.

Hope something I just scrawled helps,

Sean