[thelist] side-by-side select boxes

James Aylard webmaster at equilon-mrc.com
Tue May 1 14:43:16 CDT 2001

rudy,

> james, is this a doctype quirk?  could you please tell me again which
> doctype i should be using?  i've re-read your splendid article
> (http://evolt.org/article/aaargh/17/4427/index.html) but i'm still not
sure
> which doctype, if any, might fix my problem...

    Unfortunately, my primary development PC with my Netscape 6 installation
is out of order at the moment. Looking at your code, I don't see any
doctype-related issues involved. Re: which doctype you should use, try the
HTML 4.01 Transitional *without* a URI [1] (or else the one with the longer
URI that includes the issue date [2]). This should trigger "quirks" mode,
which *may* change the way the selects are rendered in the table. More
likely, however, this is a Netscape bug, and resorting to placing the
content within a <p> element may be your best workaround (which looks fine
in IE 5.01 sp2, btw).
    Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

James

1. <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
2. <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
   "http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/loose.dtd">