[thelist] Windows '98 Instability

sfmalo sfmalo at msn.com
Tue May 1 23:00:53 CDT 2001

Amongst the things that the head lemur wrote (a nice set of instructions):

>    msconfig allows you to fine tune the startup sequence for windows

Yes, I hadn't done that in quite some time and it helped to uncheck a
**bunch** of stuff that I don't recall being there the last time. After I
defragged, searched for ghosts, etc. (all in Safe Mode), my system resources
were up to 82%, the most in many a moon. However, it doesn't take long for
the percentage to stop dropping (without Photoshop or other hogs open) and I
sink into the 60s pretty quickly. Of course, better than 49%!  Do you
suppose it could be because of the following? (don't know how important a
factor this could be):

I also know how to run "sfc" and discovered 14 Windows system files are
corrupted. When prompted to load my Win98 CD to reinstall the corrupted
.dlls, it prompted me that none of the 14 could be found. So I tried my
Win98SE CD. Same message. I wrote down each file name. Would MS Window's
site have these .dlls that I could download and reinstall, do you think? Or,
am I out of luck?

Sharon
Sharon F. Malone
"web design and Internet writing services"
http://www.24caratdesign.com