[thelist] annoying browser cache...

deke web at master.gen.in.us
Tue May 1 23:38:38 CDT 2001

On 1 May 2001, at 15:18, Bob Haroche posted a message which said:

>  Might try telling your client to go to a slightly bogus URL like:
> www.yoursite.com/index.html?abc
> The ?abc supposedly fools the browser into thinking that it's requesting a
> dynamic page so it won't pull a cached copy.

This is a GET url, rather than a POST.  Browsers and firewalls
are free to cache GET urls, since they are guaranteed not to
change anything on the server; only POST urls are supposed
to do that.

Generate a unique number - epoch seconds is fine - when you
serve up each page and attach it to the end of each URL
( http://www.yoursite.com/index.html/998778423 )
and you will *always* get a fresh page because the URL has
never been seen before by the cache.

deke