[thelist] Charity and taxes was: Re: list confrontations, was: [thelist] Org Chart?

matthew garrett matthew.garrett at snet.net
Wed May 2 09:14:17 CDT 2001

> From: J J <squid_66 at yahoo.com>
> <tip type="charity work & taxes" author="J J">
> Check with your accountant but often times charitable
> work or freebie sites/programming can be deducted as
> advertising or a charitable donation.
> </tip>

I asked my accountant a month ago (for obvious reasons). He advised me that
only the *expenses* incurred in the production of donated services are tax
deductable. There appears to be no gain since those expenses are tax
deductable anyway (because they are business expenses). He says that you
can't/shouldn't do the "i would have charged a 'real' client $10,000, so
i'll deduct that $10,000 as a contribution instead."

If he's wrong, I need a new accountant...

maybe i'll look it up here later:
http://www.irs.gov/

matt