Non-profit resources (was Re: list confrontations, was: [thelist] Org Chart?

Tamara Abbey Abbey at abbeyink.com
Wed May 2 09:25:28 CDT 2001

At 09:00 AM 5/2/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>I think Michele brings up a good point that shows the other side of the
>coin.. Sometimes, people really can't afford to pay for software, even
>that 'just $30' shareware. Its not that those people are wasting their
>time trying to find something for nothing. When you have nothing to
>begin with or aren't making money on the project, the one thing its
>possible to be liberal with is one's time..

I had replied privately to Michele about non-profit resources, but since
this thread keeps going, I went ahead and did a little digging on my old
machine.

For true non-profits with the appropriate documentation, in the US it's a
501(c)3, there are a lot of groups and organizations that will donate
software, hardware and more. If you want a particular piece of software for
a project, then you may want to contact the company and see if they have
any type of program available and what the guidelines are for getting that
software/hardware/tool.

Also, there are places like http://www.guidestar.org/ which was recommended
on another list, and http://www.giftsinkind.org/ which is international and
was referred to me by a software maker when I wanted their product, but not
enough to pay $20 on ebay for a pirated copy.

Most of these places do charge registration and/or administration fees,
but, most non-profits I know usually do have at least /some/ budget for
these things.

<tamara />