[thelist] Basic Traffic tracking question

Seth Bienek seth at sethbienek.com
Wed May 2 13:14:34 CDT 2001

> convey to Janet is that there in NO way to know a persons name, email, or
> city or anything else useful in that way to a marketing...

Hi Sandy,

Would this info from your IP address be beneficial:

Location  = Chicago, IL, USA
lat/lon   = 41.88 N, 87.62 W
source    = .\data\net\da.uu.net.txt+
type      = authoritative
place-key = chicago-il
geo-key   = 60601 -> .\data\geo.txt+

Note: geo-key should correspond to a zipcode near you.

Granted, this information is not available for all IP addresses.  Hell, I'm
not even sure where the info comes from (anyone care to enlighten us?) other
than I type your IP address into VisualRoute and it tells me a little more
about you.

I'm not making the argument that your IP address contains all the marketing
information someone would need, just making that "never say never" point.
The best way to collect information from your users is to ASK them for it.
:)

Seth

Seth Bienek
Solutions Development Manager