[thelist] Basic Traffic tracking question

Seth Bienek seth at sethbienek.com
Wed May 2 14:16:25 CDT 2001

> Well, within 40 miles at least.  What did you use to get that degree of
> detail, Seth?

That info came from VisualRoute:
http://visualroute.com

I think the easiest (and most reliable) thing for you would probably be
asking the user for a zip code.  Like Scott said, you don't even need to be
using an application server package (it helps though).

Adding something like this on your home page somewhere:
We'd like to make the site more useful for our visitors.  Would you mind
sharing your zip code with us?<br>
<form action="thanks.html" method="get">
	<input type="text" name="zip" size="5">
	<input type="submit" value=" submit ">
</form>

Would give you a server log entry with that zip code appended to the URL. It
might be all you need in order to get a representative idea of where your
visitors are coming from.

Just some thoughts...

Seth

Seth Bienek