[thelist] ServerSide (ColdFusion) Online Version of Long Micr osoft Word

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at COMPAQ.com
Wed May 2 16:11:31 CDT 2001

Hi Jon,

I'm glad you found a way to split the documents ... that looked like the
hard part to me.

I'd recommend a slightly different approach ... you might think about
keeping the documents themselves out of the database and just using link
references:

(1) Create a couple of directories - one for division "a" product manuals,
one for division "b" product manuals, one for HR, etc.  Store the
"pieces-parts" document html files here.

(2) Create a database table that contains:
	- Document_Name -- "VCR Programming Instructions"
	- Page_One -- "/consumer_products/vcr.1"
	- Next_Page -- "/consumer_products/vcr.2"
	- Prior_Page -- "/consumer_products/vcr.1" or null

This should let you construct your 'breadcrumb' links.

(3) If you feel like getting fancier you might add a second table that
contains links to an "index" for each document ... or a third file that lets
you pick off the first page of any given section (unless you can do that
programmatically). ... or let users set cookies so they could come back and
continue reading from the point where they left off --- whatever.

I hope you can write a script [Perl maybe?] that combs through the relevant
directory and populates these tables "automagically" when new documents are
added or existing documents are modified ... {I think it would be a stretch
for my current Perl skills  ;-)  }

Sounds like a neat project -- good luck.

HTH,

RonL.