list confrontations, was: [thelist] Org Chart?

deke web at master.gen.in.us
Wed May 2 17:09:42 CDT 2001

On 2 May 2001, at 9:00, Daniel J. Cody posted a message which said:

> I think Michele brings up a good point that shows the other side of the
> coin.. Sometimes, people really can't afford to pay for software, even
> that 'just $30' shareware.

I really feel sorry for those people. They shoplift computers. They
wire around the meter so they can get the electricity to run them.
They hook into someone else's phone line to dial up their ISP.
They use someone else's username and password to log on.
Shouldn't such endeavor be rewarded?

And then someone gets a little huffy because they steal software.
How can *anyone* be so insensitive?  Don't they know that the
unemployment rate is well into the 2-3% range, and jobs are
impossible to find unless you open a newspaper, watch television,
or walk past a businessplace?

I think we need a federal "software stamps" program so that
these people can have the software they so richly deserve, without
the humiliation of stealing it.

deke