list confrontations, was: [thelist] Org Chart?

Michele Wandrei michele at inthree.com
Wed May 2 22:31:11 CDT 2001

<deke wrote>
> I really feel sorry for those people. They shoplift computers. They
> wire around the meter so they can get the electricity to run them.
> They hook into someone else's phone line to dial up their ISP.
> They use someone else's username and password to log on.
> Shouldn't such endeavor be rewarded?
>
> And then someone gets a little huffy because they steal software.
> How can *anyone* be so insensitive?  Don't they know that the
> unemployment rate is well into the 2-3% range, and jobs are
> impossible to find unless you open a newspaper, watch television,
> or walk past a businessplace?

<heavy sigh>
PLEASE don't jump to conclusions like that!  Just because someone chooses to
donate services to a non-profit organization, or because an organization
doesn't have the funding to purchase software, doesn't mean that anyone is
stealing anything.  Why would you assume such a thing?

There are many, many free scripts available and free or reduced cost software
packages available that can fit the bill when you can't scrape enough together
for the top-of-the-line product.  The rewards of working for a worthwhile
organization can far outweigh the financial ability to have the latest and
greatest.  It's a choice I made.  It doesn't mean I'm wiring the eletric meter
to my neighbor's house or using pirated software.

Please check your assumptions before making accusations.
</heavy sigh>

<tip type="Conflict Management" author="Michele Wandrei">
Conflict can be good for you, if you approach it with an open mind.  The first
step toward resolving conflict is to truly put yourself in the shoes of the
other person and try to understand his or her position.  Once you can identify
with the other person, you will find that you have many common opinions.  If
you open your mind, and accept the fact that life is not a game to be won, you
might even learn something!
</tip>
Michele Wandrei
inThree Design