[thelist] Org Chart?

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Wed May 2 22:55:32 CDT 2001

> From: Jorah Lavin <madstone at madstone.net>
>
> True enough, but how did you know he needed it for a business
> purpose?  Anyway, free can be very good... I wouldn't have gotten as

i assumed that because very few people make org charts for fun...
or make org charts of the hierarchy their pets display among
themselves, starting with that damn alpha chihuaha...

i'm curious, though, whomever the original poster was, can you tell
us why you need the org charting software?  was it business or
personal?  are you gonna get paid for the project for which you are
using the software?

> good a start as I did with HTML if I hadn't had BBEdit Lite around,
> and it lead to me being a loyal customer of Bare Bones Software for
> the whole time I was on Macs, so it can work as a marketing tool, IOW.

well, good for them, i suppose... without being familiar with the
licensing of BBEdit Lite, if it was shareware and you didn't pay for
it, but used it for work, then even if you bought it later on, you were
still pilfering it up to that point...  sure, you can justify it by saying
it made you buy it, but you stole it to begin with (i guess it's your
own fault)...

of course, if it was freeware, then both your point and my followup
are moot...

> I play with Linux once in a while, too, and don't recall having to
> shell out any cash for it.

well, that's because you're getting no value-add, and linux is
freeware... you *can* shell out for linux, like RedHat, for instance...
but you're paying for the services they offer (documentation,
support, child labor, etc.)... if you installed a copy of RedHat linux,
that would still be stealing it, linux or not...

but don't assume that because you use freeware to run your
business all software should be free... by no means does that
justify using software that you haven't paid for...

i'm rather curious about how people would respond to a client who
asked for some scripting work done, and then refused to pay you
because it didn't work for them... their argument being that you can
re-use it elsewhere... no, it's not the same, but it is *your*
livelihood suddenly at stake...