[thelist] Org Chart?

Tobyn Baugher trb at cartoonviolence.net
Wed May 2 23:32:57 CDT 2001

At 11:51 PM 5/2/2001 -0400, aardvark wrote:
well, that's because you're getting no value-add, and linux is
freeware... you *can* shell out for linux, like RedHat, for instance...

but you're paying for the services they offer (documentation,
support, child labor, etc.)... if you installed a copy of RedHat linux,

that would still be stealing it, linux or not...

Just to nitpick... if you installed a copy of RH it wouldn't be
stealing it. RedHat charges for the media and documentation and such,
but their software (being licensed under the GNU GPL) is actually free
for the copying and distributing.

They mainly charge for and make their money off support contracts with
commercial enterprises using their stuff.

Of course this is horribly off topic so I'll give a go at contributing
my first tip and tie it into what I've just said.

<TIP TYPE="linux server">
If you ever find yourself in charge of a box running an os that makes
use of inetd, try swapping it out for tcpserver from the ucspi-tcp
package (http://cr.yp.to/ucspi-tcp.html). It has tons of nifty options
for allowing/disallowing connections and doesn't choke under high loads
like inetd can.

Sluggish performance out of the box can be alleviated by specifying the
-R and -H switches to stop unnecessary info lookups.
</TIP>

Tell me if I did it wrong, won't you? :P

Regards,
Toby

Tobyn "trb" Baugher <trb at cartoonviolence.net>
http://www.cartoonviolence.net