Shareware/demoware 'theft' (was RE: [thelist] Org Chart?)

Andrew Forsberg andrew at thepander.co.nz
Thu May 3 02:50:02 CDT 2001

>  > but since when did abiding by the shareware / trial license for a software
>>  package constitute theft?
>
>Abiding by it isn't theft, but assuming you let it expire (don't abide by it)
>and then keep using it you're not paying someone for something they expect
>money for. Since you generally agree to their license by installing/using
>their software, you're stealing (well, breaking your contract with them).

Sure, but my point was based on Aardvark and Deke's comments, which
sounded a LOT like 'using free, or shareware software is theft'
regardless of whether it's issued under a GNU, or other, license to
use without money changing hands.

It just sounded a bit bizarre to me, and I was hoping someone could
clarify how using something that has no purchase price, and abiding
by the distribution license, could constitute theft.

For example, I 'bought' Solaris 8 around a year-or-so ago -- the
software cost me nothing, but I paid for the media and courier costs.
Now, I really don't think I *stole* anything -- and I'm sure Sun
would whack me into a court of law real-quick-like if they thought I
was ripping them off -- so, my question is, what on earth do they
mean by calling 'free' software (and nothing is really free, even if
you have to take a vague opportunity cost point of view to prove it)
theft.

--
Andrew Forsberg
http://www.thepander.co.nz/