list confrontations, was: [thelist] Org Chart?

Baker, Nick BakerN at mso.umt.edu
Thu May 3 10:13:37 CDT 2001

Michele--
	Amen. I work for a universiy for half what I could get elsewhere
because I feel right about what I am doing, and give my own time or reduced
rates to struggling businesses and non profits that I feel should be
supported.
	In my mailbox, just above your post, was yet another post on how to
avoid paying taxes by "donating" to non-profits--is that any different from
hot-wiring the electric meter?

Nick Baker
Web Access Officer
The University of Montana
Computing and Information Services
32 Campus Drive  Mail Stop 5688
Missoula, MT  59812-5688
Vox: 406-243-2253
FAX: 406-243-4500
bakern at mso.umt.edu

<heavy sigh>
PLEASE don't jump to conclusions like that!  Just because someone chooses to
donate services to a non-profit organization, or because an organization
doesn't have the funding to purchase software, doesn't mean that anyone is
stealing anything.  Why would you assume such a thing?

There are many, many free scripts available and free or reduced cost
software
packages available that can fit the bill when you can't scrape enough
together
for the top-of-the-line product.  The rewards of working for a worthwhile
organization can far outweigh the financial ability to have the latest and
greatest.  It's a choice I made.  It doesn't mean I'm wiring the eletric
meter
to my neighbor's house or using pirated software.

Please check your assumptions before making accusations.
</heavy sigh>