[thelist] Website Database Security

Philippe Jadin philippe.jadin at 123piano.com
Thu May 3 15:25:35 CDT 2001

> I am looking for articles and tutorials on how to properly secure a
website.
> In particular, I am building several websites using ColdFusion and am
> looking for articles that center on protecting databases from malicious
> hackers.

As your subject says "database security", I guess you should tell which
database you are using.

There are some principles that are independant of the database, but some
others are db-dependant. In the same way there are ideas independant of the
language you use (mostly html forms design / server security / good
passwords / sql queries), and probably some specific to coldfusion.

If you use mysql for instance, typing "mysql security" in google should give
you plenty of ressources.

The most documented tools are obviously the opensource ones, because any
hacker could look at the sources and figure out where's the hole. Thus more
attacks, more docs, imho better "hole fixes".

Philippe